Two Types of Companion Care Insurance

Caring for the elderly or disabled in their homes is an industry fraught with potential claims of negligence. To protect themselves from lawsuits, most workers and the facilities where they work carry separate insurance policies. Here an explanation of these two types of companion care insurance and how they differ.

Professional Liability

Professional liability covers the expenses that occur when someone accuses home health care professionals of neglecting to do part of their duties or of making a mistake while taking care of a patient. Many individual nurses, professional companions, and physical therapists choose to carry this policy as part of their own personal insurance package and pay the premiums without help from their employers.

Entity Liability

In the medical industry, any business that offers in-home services qualifies as an entity that is eligible for this type of insurance. It is important for organizations to carry their own liability policies, regardless of whether or not their employees purchase professional policies for themselves. Entity liability protects the facility in case a client sues the business as a whole for negligence or breach of privacy.

Both professional and entity liability policies protect from the devastating financial obligations of lawsuits and personal injuries. The type you choose depends on your role in the home health care field.