When you’re on the hunt for the perfect apartment to rent, you will likely need to sift through several options before you settle down and find the best fit for your budget and lifestyle. While price range, square footage, and the building’s condition may be major factors that many may use to filter out options, it’s important that you look the bigger picture and consider how other aspects of your lifestyle will be accommodated. There may be requirements for renters pet insurance, for example, that may need to be met even before signing any contracts. By knowing what factors you should consider while on the search for your ideal home, you are likely to find a living situation that is compatible with your needs.
Whether you’re doing an online search or dropping by an open house, it can save you time and stress down the road by knowing what questions to ask before you sign any contracts. Some topics you should discuss include the following:
- Contract length and termination terms
- Proximity to work, schools, shopping and other frequented locations
- Included utilities, appliances and hookups
- Parking options for personal vehicles
- Renters pet insurance, number of animals and which types are approved
- Renters insurance requirements
- HOA rules and fees
- Crime rate
- Cleaning deposits
- Included amenities
- Income and deposit requirements
Narrowing down your options by applying search parameters can save you time and stress. By going over a detailed list, you can have a better idea of how likely each potential home will work for you realistically and in the long term.